VAVS (Hospital Service)
• One way is through “hospital service”. A volunteer serves veterans of VA Hospitals and through health clinics (CBOCs). These volunteers allow the hospitals and facilities to concentrate on other priorities. Volunteers help with bingos, collecting supplies, make popcorn, make telephone calls and provide many other services.
The following are facilities where a volunteer may earn “Hospital Hours”
Illiana Health Care System, Danville
Hines VA, Hines
Jesse Brown West Side VA, Chicago
Marion VA, Marion
Capt. James A. Lovell FHCC, North Chicago
Decatur VA Outpatient Clinic, Mattoon
Bob Michel Outpatient Clinic, Peoria
Springfield Outpatient Clinic, Springfield
John Cochran VA, St. Louis
Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis
• Hospital Representatives should schedule their Annual Joint Review in the fall, so it can be forwarded to Pat Kranzow, VA&R National Vice-President.
• When filling out Hour forms for credit, volunteers should make sure they check the correct box and be specific as to how the veteran was served.
Unit Itemized list
Hour Record Form
Service to Veterans
• A second way to serve veterans is through “Service to Veterans”. A volunteer can earn hours serving at Illinois Veterans Homes:
Illinois Veterans Home, Anna
Illinois Veterans Home, LaSalle
Illinois Veterans Home, Manteno
Illinois Veterans Home, Quincy
or other private nursing facility where a veteran resides.
• An ALA member can also earn “Service to Veteran” hours by helping a veteran in their home and community.
• Some examples are:
Shopping for a veteran
Making and sending Greeting cards
Drive veteran to doctor appointment
Stay with veteran while caregiver takes a break
Provide for veterans in transitional homes
Donate a membership
• Units can collectively serve veterans through donations of needed items at VA facilities. When sending items, an itemized list for each box so the unit can get proper credit.
• Remember the fiscal year for “Hospital Service” and “Service to Veterans” hours is April 1, 1918 to March 31, 2019.
For more information:
Veterans Affairs and Rehabilitation: a guide for volunteers This guide is available through the Department Office for $3 or click the link below. It explains how Auxiliary member can volunteer. www.alaforveterans.org/our-focus/