FOR OUR TOMORROW, THEY GAVE TODAY SO LETS TELL THE WORLD ABOUT OUR HEROES
For Our Tomorrow, They Gave Today So Lets Tell The World About Our Heroes is the Public Relations Theme for this 2022-2023 Auxiliary year. Public Relations promotes WHO WE ARE, WHAT WE DO AND WHY WE MATTER.
Getting the word out about our veterans, our military or their family members can be done in many ways.
AS A MEMBER:
1. Give an Auxiliary subscription to your local library, doctor’s offices
2. Distribute brochures at the library, job fairs, doctors’ offices, post homes. These can be printed on line at www.ALAforVeterans.org or order thru our Managing Director Renee
3. Wear your official branded ALA apparel, your “Honor Their Service” button when out and about. That order form is also on the website.
4. And of course know your Auxiliary, what we do and why we matter.
5. Promote your events
6. Subscribe to ALA eNews and the In The Know eBulletin
7. Link to www.ALAforVeterans.org in your personal email signature
AS A UNIT:
1. Get the ALA Public Relations Guide and Tips for Volunteer Recruitment Tool Kit. Also found on the website.
2. Make a list of local media contact and political figures and educate them on Who We Are, What We Do, Why We Matter
3. Write a letter to the editor and/or news release for all of your patriotic holidays and events. Templates are on the website.
4. Create a website or work on improving your website so that it adheres to brand standards.
5. Create and maintain an active social media presence for your Unit by using Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. There may be others.
On our website, ilala.org, you can also on the Public Relations Page get to National’s information and how to sheets. The COVER SHEET should be included with your year end reports and narratives.
Right now you can place articles about those young ladies who represented your Unit at Girls State or Girls Nation, Awards from Department, Woman of the Year, Gold Star, and POW/MIA Day which is September 16th this year and Gold Star Mothers and Family Day which is September 25th.
I will have to send a Mid-Year Narrative Report to National so please keep a record of what you are doing beginning with May 1, 2022 thru December 15, 2022 so I may report on time by January 1st.
I will also have to send a Year-End Narrative Report to National for May 1, 2022 thru May 1, 2023.
National Awards are as follows:
a. Lapel Pin presented to one member in each department who achieves excellence in promotion of the American Legion Auxiliary with her use of social media, her appearance in public wearing ALA-branded apparel, and other activities that showcase the Auxiliary’s unique branding through visual identity.
b. Document with action photographs, screen shots, and other evidence of brand promotion activities
c. Activity must occur between May 1 prior to the start of the current administration year and May 1 before the end of the current admin year.
NEW WEBSITE OR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNT LAUNCH
A. Personalized mouse pad and congrats letter presented to all units developing a properly branded website or social media account during the current ALA administrative year.
B. Web address/URI, webmaster/administer name and contact info, or name and contact info for ALA coordinator if webmaster/administrator is a third party vendor.
C. Site account must have been created after September 1st, 2022 of the current ALA admin year
D. Website/Facebook page must conform to “Website and Social Media Guidelines” in the ALA Branding Guide
MOST OUTSTANDING UNIT PUBLIC RELATIONS PROGRAM
A. Citation Plaque presented to One Unit in each National Division.
B. Include three different media placements/coverage highlighting different ALA programs featured in three different months. September 1, 2022 – May 1, 2023 of the current ALA administrative year,
C. Acceptable media publications must support the Auxiliary’s mission and goals
A. BURN’S REEL STARS PLAQUE – FOR THE BEST UNIT PRESS BOOK SUBMITTED.
B. JULIA’S MUSICIANS PLAQUE – FOR THE BEST DISTRICT PRESS BOOK SUBMITTED.
TO BE AWARDED AT JUNIOR CONFERENCE
C. $5.00 FIRST PLACE FOR THE MOST OUSTANDING MEDIA BOOK BY JUNIORS (CLASS I AND II)
D. $3.00 SECOND PLACE FOR THE MOST OUTSTANDING MEDIA BOOK BY JUNIORS (CLASS I AND II)
E. $2.00 THIRD PLACE FOR THE MOST OUTSTANDING MEDIA BOOK BY JUNIORS (CLASS I AND II)
A. $5.00 TO THE RUNNER UP OF THE BURN’S REEL STARS PLAQUE
B. $5.00 TO THE RUNNER UP OF THE JULIA’S MUSICIANS PLAQUE
How to Sheets are also included for a News Release, Facebook and Twitter to promote Auxiliary Events and activities, and to set up a Department or Unit Website.
Please send me your articles, newsletters, pictures of displays, ALA event, speeches, website addresses, social media activity, etc.
Guidelines for the Media Book will be included in the Fall Packet. Please ask your President for them.
1. American Legion Auxiliary Branding Guide
2. Photography Guidelines
3. ALA public Relations Guide and Tips for Volunteer Recruitment Toolkit
4. ALA Style Guide
5. Submissions to National ALA Media, templates for posters, flyers, news releases, and other; marketing materials and much more
6. The national Public Relations Committee Facebook group, search ALA Public Relations
7. Your National Public Relations committee members
8. Angie Mulligan
Division Committee Chairman are:
FIRST DIVISION - HELEN STEWART
SECOND DIVISION – JERRI ATKINS
THIRD DIVISION – BELINDA RUSCH
FOURTH DIVISION – KARMEN KUHN
FIFTH DIVISION – BEVERLY SHELEY