Rebecca "Sue" Johnson
Operation –Military Children are Heroes too and need the Bear Necessities of hugs!
1. Operation Buddy- I was hoping to have the paperback book of Buddy the Soldier Bear Operation Hugs from home! Found under positive promotions.com. The book will not arrive until Tues. Other suggested books are: When you are away. H is for Honor A Military Family. A great activity book that you could introduce to your community schools anytime especial in April during Children and Youth month is I’m a proud military kid item #KCB-517. The book points out special circumstances military kids deal with and how they could be exciting challenges and builds self-esteem and morale of children. The prices vary the more you by the less you pay. Phone number 877-258-1225.
2. Operation project Sacks it was a National program that was given by a grant from the Children Welfare foundation. It was something that we did at convention. Volunteer members helped to stuff the bags with a lot of items. Then I delivered to the Renaissance homeless veteran shelters for Woman and men who have families. I would like for you to continue the growth of this project sack and delivery them to places in your community that children need this extra help.
3. Operation gifting- for Children with special needs in-group homes under the age of 18. Please ladies make sure you give this to your district C&Y chair. I had a few contact me that they never received the information. The first form is due Oct 21st, Form # 3 December 28th, Form #2 and thank you January 13th to me. In October if you need the money from Dept. ahead of time because your district and units may not have the funds we need the total amount from what institutes with a message to me so I can quickly get it to dept. so they can help you. Again district chair please pass on to your units so if they have these homes we can give the children with special needs a $ 10.00 Christmas gift.
4. Operation Special Olympics. Winter Games Jan31, Feb.1 and 2nd in Galena Chestnut Mountain, and Eagle ridge resort. The Legion family supplies all the food. Summer game Normal Bloomington at ISU Horton Field house for football. June 9th and 10th . Tennis Games Evergreen Racquet Club, Aug.. 20th. We also provide all the food and drinks here too.
5. Operation ALF dog –the American Legion Family. Wisconsin sons went back and forth on how they wanted to handle taking orders for Legion families from other states. It is expressed heavily not to put these in raffles or not to sell them in any way, or our state will loose the privilege to give out to the children that need a little companion during crisis. That is what happened to the Josh dog.
6. Operation National Family week.The week of Thanksgiving is National Family week for the Military Families. Make plans to invite and initiate some type of participation in activities that promote family strength and integrity. Don’t forget at Christmas we have our Christmas parties for children 11 and other, but we have teens that are still kids try to plan a separate event for them that is close to their age.
7. Operation Children and Welfare Foundation. Thanks for all that sent in monies for Children and Welfare Foundation as we start over again. If you like to put in for a grant put it together and submit before next July 15th the application. Awards for candidates for June 1st –May 31st
8. Operation Halloween. Make Halloween fun and safe. Trunk or treat, or parties in you unit, which ever your community can draw the most families.
9. Operation Good deed awards and Youth Hero awards for outstanding children in our state. The look in their eyes as they receive their certificates from National. Reach out to your Legion Family. They see something they give the information to the Auxiliary a simple form is filled out. It is then sent to Department and from there to National who makes out the certificate and sends it back so your unit can present it.
10. Operation Youth caregiver certificate is also being given out for those children helping with parents, grand parents, or other elderly or people with medicals not capable of doing things for themselves.
11. Operation Color. We have three coloring books: Halloween Safety, Poppies, and America the beautiful that you can download off National.
12. Operation Heroes. We also have children are Heroes 2 and how they deal with moving, making new friends and all of the events and activities and birthdays that are missed out when 1 or more parents are away. You can also get pillow cases made why yellow ribbon happens and parents are deployed please get a hold of me with names and contacts so we can get pictures to put on pillow case. Text me if you can 815-222-3983. You can also order the button with the child on it, or parent(s) deployed or the Veteran in your family.
13. The last is my operation rewards and they are very different this year.
As new things come up I will keep you informed. I’m again excited about being your Children and Youth chair person. If you would like to talk about ideas or share ideas don’t wait to the end send me pictures and blogs of what you’re doing and how did it go. Please make sure the information gets to the units in your division and districts. They are the ones who do the work and make this program a success. Remember the Hug is the Bear Necessities of life.